Saturday, July 19, 2008

Originally Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008

Title: The Norfolk Tides, Baltimore Orioles and God

I just returned for a Norfolk Tides baseball game and it made me think. As much as I root for the Tides and cheer them on, the Norfolk Tides do not exist to win games. For those of you unfamiliar with baseball, let me explain, and if you don't like sports just bear with me for a minute.

The Norfolk Tides are the AAA "Farm Team" for the Major League Baseball team Baltimore Orioles. Every major league team has an A league farm team, AA league farm team and AAA league farm team. If a player is good enough in the A league they move to AA and if they continue to play well to AAA and eventually into the major leagues.
While I get caught up in the game and cheer for the Tides I often fail to remember that the Norfolk Tides exist for one reason and one reason only: To train players who will help the Baltimore Orioles. If a player is doing great for the Tides he doesn't stay to help Norfolk win games. He is "called up" to play for the Baltimore Orioles and help them win games. The wins and losses for the Norfolk Tides don't really matter. As long as they provide quality players to the Baltimore Orioles they have done their job.

So what does this have to do you with you, me and God? How often do we forget that we exist for one reason and one reason only? We exist to glorify God. Our wins and losses don't matter. Our failures and our victories don't matter. If we glorify God with our lives and what we do then what happens to us doesn't matter.

Jesus Himself realized this. Remember as He knew His time was drawing near to die he said, ""Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!"" (John 10:27-28) He came to glorify His Father's Name. In Matthew 5:16 Jesus said, "…Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Why should we do good deeds? To bring our Father praise and to glorify His name.

We continue in the Bible and see 1 Peter 4:11 which says, "…If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ…." 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

In his letter to the Romans Paul wrote, "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus," (Romans 15:5) Why does Paul pray for endurance and encouragement for his Brothers and Sisters in Rome? So they will feel better? No. He says, "so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." (Romans 15:6) The endurance and encouragement is to bring the Father glory.

We live in a very me-centered culture. Take care of yourself because no one else will and look out for number one. How often we forget that we exist for one reason – to glorify God. I pray that all my wins and losses glory God. All my pain and suffering – may it glorify God. After all, that is the reason I exist and the sooner I remember that fact the sooner I'll stop worrying about me and will concentrate of what I'm here to do: Glorify my Father.

Just like the Norfolk Tides exist to benefit the Baltimore Orioles and not themselves we exist to glorify God and not ourselves.
May all I do glorify the King!


*All verses are NIV

No comments: